This is due at the end of unit 4Sociology 201 – Writing Assignment
Assignment: You will submit a three to four-page research paper focusing on a current social problem that is of interest to you. Please do not use any of the topics that we covered during the class. You will find a list of possible topics at the bottom of this page, however, feel free to use your own.
1. Clearly define the problem.
2. Discuss the different attitudes and views about the problem (as outlined in your research). Include a discussion on how one of the sociological approaches would view this issue: functionalist, conflict, or symbolic interactionism.
3. Identify an approach to intervene in this problem taking care not to base your conclusion on your own experiences, emotions, or personal values. Your intervention strategy must be based on and supported by the research you have done. You must use at least three sources, not including your text.
Guidelines: The Research Paper:
- Must be three to four double-spaced pages and formatted according to APA style as outlined on the “course description” page.
- Must include an introductory paragraph with a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must conclude with a restatement of the thesis and a conclusion paragraph.
- Must use APA style as outlined in your approved style guide to document all sources.
- Must utilize at least three resources (two must be scholarly articles)..
- Must include, on the final page, a Reference List that is completed according to APA style as outlined on the “course information” page.
Possible Social Topics:
- Affirmative Action
- Violence in Schools
- Racial Profiling
- Assisted Suicide