After reading Lindemann’s “What is Feminist Ethics” (pp. 143-154) and the assigned sections of “Feminist Environmental Philosophy,” as well as the other material provided in this unit like the video of Dr. Vandana Shiva, write a 3-4 page essa.y in which you do all of the following:
- Integrate the various approaches to ethics we have discussed in the class (utilitarianism, deontology, virtue ethics, and feminist ethics) to evaluate the following case:
Select your preferred case from the Regional Ethics Bowl Cases 2022, or contact your instructor to get approval for another case that interests you (please provide a news or journal article with details of the case).
In particular, make sure you identify at least one element of the feminist ethics approach to this case (e.g. critique of capitalism and how it devalues women/other marginalized communities).
Make sure to define any key terms and concepts. Assume that the reader is unfamiliar with the readings. Engage with the readings directly through paraphrasing and in-text citations.
Purpose of Assignment
- demonstrate a clear, in-depth understanding of the content through accurate and concise writing; and
- engage with the text through appropriate quoting and citation (any major citation format is acceptable, e.g. APA, MLA).
Given the purposes of this assignment, it is important that you provide clear definitions of key terms, explain concepts and theories in detail and with examples when helpful, and demonstrate your understanding by providing these explanations in your own words whenever possible (instead of quoting). My recommendation is to demonstrate your understanding of the reading through selective quoting (in other words, keep quoting to a minimum) and when quoting, be sure to explain what the quote means and how it connects to the rest of the discussion.
For additional information on expectations for this assignment, refer to the grading rubric.
- 1 inch margins, double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font (Be sure to check these formatting guidelines as these may not be the default setting on your word processor).
- Pap.er must be at least three full pages and must not be longer than four full pages. Any pa.pers that do not meet the minimum page requirement will be penalized, and anything written beyond the third page will not be read.
- Upload your pap.er in Word or PDF format (doc, docx, pdf). Other formats (e.g. Pages) will not be accepted.
- Your pa.per will be run through the plagiarism detection program. I take academic integrity very seriously as a matter of fairness to all PCC students, and though in many cases, students unknowingly violate the academic integrity policy, you will still be held responsible for making sure your work complies with those policies. If you have any questions, I am more than happy to help.