Managing the Generations
Technological advances surround us. Today, our lives are shaped by hundreds of inventions that make our lives more comfortable, automatic, productive and easier. The goal of this assignment is to understand how dependent we have become on technology in todays world. It is eye opening to discover, recognize and analyze these “modern conveniences.”
The goal of this assignment is to also understand the older generations. This assignment also provides insight into our dependence on technology!
- Choose any day that works for you.
- For 12 hours in a row (not sleeping hours) please don’t use any technology. This assignment is on the “honor” system. If you can commit yourself to this experiment, it will be an “eye opening” experience!
- Write about your experience in this assignment and in Discussion #3.
Technology NOT TO USE includes: TV, radio, telephone or smart phone of any kind (cell or land line), Internet, ATM or credit cards (use only cash), Kindle or iPad, tablet, iPod, microwave, washer/dryer, gaming system of any kind.
You may: Drive a car, use the refrigerator, use the oven/stove top, read a book and visit with friends and family.
The challenge is to put aside your technology for 12 straight hours!
Please write a 4-6 page paper answering the following questions:
- Were you able to last 12 hours without any kind of technology? Please explain.
- How did you pass the time without technology?
- What are the benefits and pitfalls of excessive technology?
- Analyze the benefits and/or downfalls of 20th century technologies.
- Did living without technology help you to understand and appreciate the older generations a bit more?
- What have you learned about yourself and others during this experiment?
- Did you enjoy this assignment?
- This is an individual assignment and as such, you must not give help or receive help from another student or individual.
- Please answer these questions in a Word Document.
- Each time an assignment is submitted, include the following information:
- Assignment number and title,
- Student’s name,
- Course: MGT5690.E1
- Please submit your assignment to the Moodle portal.